27 May The Garage Door Service: providing safety & savings
A regular garage door service saves you money by prolonging the life of your garage door or roller door and is vital for the safety of your family, car and belongings.
Just like your car, your garage door needs to be serviced. And, just like your car, servicing is the last thing you think of until something goes wrong! But serving is essential if you want to increase the longevity of your garage door – and – avoid any nasty, inconvenient problems.
Nothing is more frustrating than having a car stuck in your garage due to a faulty door, stopping you from getting to work or an important event on time. Or worse, a faulty door could result in the door collapsing dangerously on a vehicle or a precious loved one.
A regular garage door service
We recommend that most garage doors subjected to regular use be serviced every 10 to 12 months.
In a professional garage door service, we will do the following:
- run a safety check of all fixings, brackets and overall structure
- check wire cables on either side for tension and condition
- noise minimisation
- lubricate all moving parts
- adjust the spring tension of any hinges and brackets requiring attention
- recalibrate the automatic door opener and safety reversal system
- complete an audit of your door health
Just like your car, your garage door needs to be serviced. And, just like your car, servicing is the last thing you think of until something goes wrong!
DIY garage door maintenance
If you’re interested in DIY garage door maintenance, there are a couple of things you can do in between professional services.
Clean door parts: by simply running a cloth over the parts of your door, you can get rid of any extra dirt and debris that can get prohibit door parts functioning properly. Cleaning is also a good way of checking to see if there are any obvious breakages in any working parts.
Lubricate garage door components: lubricate the metal parts by using a non-silicon based lubricant such as WD-40? or motor oil. However, make sure you keep the nylon rollers and door track free from oil. When lubricating the garage door track, use a brake cleaner and cloth.
Test garage door balance: this is a good way of assessing where there may be other parts of the garage door that are starting to fail or require attention. Here are a few things you can do to test the balance of your door.
- Closing the garage door – see if it closes smoothly
- Both opening and closing the garage door by hand to see if it opens smoothly. If the movement is not smooth, you may find that lubricating the springs or rollers will be enough to bring your door back to smooth working order once again.
- Pulling the red release cord to disconnect the door from the opener
- Try opening the door halfway, then letting go. Ideally, the door shouldn’t slam to the ground, nor should it rise in the air. Either of these two situations demonstrates that it is out of balance.
Regular professional servicing is imperative if you want to extend the life of your garage door, and keep it looking good for longer. Without regular servicing by our Perth team, parts can be left to collect debris, rust, oxidise and break down. Once again, we recommend servicing every 10 to 12 months.
Don’t wait until it’s too late – book your garage door service today!
Booking is easy – just call us on (08) 9401 7640. Or contact us here.
We can get one of our professionals to your door within 48 hours for servicing.